Friday 2 March 2012

Trash or Treasure?

When you have a look at the first photo, you probably won't be very impressed. What on earth is that tatty ratty looking old thing, I hear you ask? Well, it is a book cover, the front bit of it, the back was probably lost ages ago. Now, if you don't like ephemera, you won't be too impressed with whats under the cover either, lol, but ephemera lovers will realise why I am so excited about this. At least I hope so, I sure fell in love with it.


On the inside cover, I found this beautiful old seal -


And this page will give away the reason why I love this so much -



All you need to do is translate the Roman numerals ................

Done it yet? Lol, if you don't know Roman numerals, let me tell you that they translate to.......
1713!!! Yep, this is a wonderful old Italian book, just about 300 years old. The typescript is absolutely gorgeous, the printers graphics delightful, and the paper just feels amazing. The author is one Carlo Gregorio Rosignoli, who lived from 1631 to 1707. How I wish I spoke Italian! I would love to be able to read this.



The book is a wreck, no back, no spine, coming apart in sections, and a little bit of water damage to the pages, but heck, it is 300 years old! And just look at the wonderful printing! I am smitten.
The good thing about buying a wreck is that I don't feel too guilty about taking pages and using them. I think of it as giving a new and interesting life to something which would have probably ended up being thrown away one of these days.




I wish you could see the paper properly in the pics, but I couldn't get a good close up of it. The colour of the pages is gorgeous and you can see so many little bits of fibre in the paper. You just can't describe the feel of it.

There you go, doesn't take much to make me happy, lol, just a few tattered pages, and I am blissfully happy. I might take some pages and put them in an ephemera bundle for my Etsy shop if anybody else is interested in these. Maybe.

Tomorrow is Pink Saturday, and I have something perfectly pink and totally gorgeous to show you. Until then, toodlepip xxx

14 comments:

Regina said...

A wonderful find Liz!!! You always find the besteset treasures ^_^

Queenie Believe said...

A most excellent find! Enjoy!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh Dear Liz what an absolute divine treasure you have in your hands here.
I would be happy even using photocopied pages rather than taking it apart.
It is such a valuable piece! I love it!
So sorry that you didn't win my giveaway dear friend - I will make it up to you somehow! And no more tears!
Love and big hugs,
Suzy

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

WOW! I know the lovely feeling of the letter-pressed pages under your fingertips. And I was excited about my 1850 church ledger. This is indeed the finest of finds. The tattier the cover, the more interesting the interior. Congrats!!!

Dorthe said...

Dearest Liz, what a fantastic treasure, I would feel exatly like you, : extraordinaire exited...how beautiful it looks, and just the feeling of holding such an old book in your hands must be so special, and not to compare with any other feeling.
You are a lucky lady, having found such an old piece.
(family looks at TV, I just have a quick look here )
HUGS to you and enjoy your week-end.
xx,Dorthe

Tina said...

That´s an awesome find Liz - love the old worn and tattered look.

harmony and rosie said...

Wow, a treasure indeed. Just think of all the people whose hands that book crossed, such history.
Kate x

Anonymous said...

You have discovered a true treasure...lucky girl!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Treasure of course! What a great find, Liz! I totally agree about the wrecks. That makes it so much easier to use parts of them. I always have such a hard time to cut up a doily that is in perfect condition.
Have a sunny weekend :-)!
Hugs,
Julia

JuanitaTortilla said...

Oh my. Are you sure this doesn't belong to a museum? Did you pay top dollar for this treasure???

Maybe it's time to learn Italian :D

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Definately a treasure!!! :)

Rhonda said...

Oh Liz, if you think you have some trash, just send them to me...I'll take them off your hands! :o

Such a treasure! Coffee table piece!

Lynn Stevens said...

SCORE!!!!! and yes I'd be interested! what a fabulous find!
hugs Lynn

Alexandra said...

Ist das ein geiles Buch!!!
Du warst ja mega fleissig mit bloggen.