Friday 3 August 2012

Dyeing to be a tourist in Paris

Confused? Yep, me too, lol, blame it on this lovely sunshine we are having at the moment. I was trying to get two very different subjects into the blog title, this week's inchie and a dyeing experiment.


This week's Every Inchie Monday theme is TOURIST, and of course, being in France at the moment, it just had to be an inchie about a tourist in Paris. The background is a copy of a 19th Century map of France showing Paris, the Eiffel Tower is a tiny little image I already had in my printed out paper stash, and the words I cut out of the tiniest little English/French dictionary - the French word for tourist and for the Underground (subway), as that is the best way to get around Paris -




The second part of the title refers to a little dyeing experiment. I read on Suziqu's Threadworks' wonderful blog that she used geranium and rose petals to dye some things a delicate pink. So when we were chatting on Skype the other day, she told me how she did it, and I just had to try it for myself.


I still had a few blooms on one of the roses, and plenty of geraniums, so I picked some petals -




I used a piece of ivory silk and a piece of white hand loomed old French linen, and this is the result -


Silk 





I love the subtle colours the silk picked up.


Linen



The colours on the linen came out stronger. I like both results, they will make pretty nice backgrounds. I might try it out on some lace in the next few days, see what that will produce.


Another thing I'll try soon is dyeing with blackberries. They are almost ready, we have scoffed a few already. They should produce a pretty pink, don't you think?


Thats all for now, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in another post tomorrow.


Toodlepip xxx

12 comments:

Dorthe said...

Dear Liz,
I LOVE your inchie, it is so wonderfully french, and my goodnes you fitted so many things into that little space-gorgeous work.
I am so exited to see your flower colouring and have to try myself. I do not have Geraniums, but will try with some other ones,and see what will become of that :-)
So funny that some of it also gets green spots,-did you add leaves?
Hope your weekend will let you find wonderful things my dear.
Much love, and xxx,Dorthe

My Creative House said...

Dear Liz your french inch is really fantastic, words, map and the Eiffel Tower, all put together on so little space, love the silk and linen you have dyed, wish you a lovely weekend.
Hugs Anni

Marigold Jam said...

Love the little French inchie. Your pink fabric too and can see it in one of your tags or something with lots of lace etc.

JuanitaTortilla said...

Blackberries! I would love to see a gorgeous purple outcome... Unless you prefer it pink? ;)

Yitte said...

I love your inchie it is great to see how you manage to make every week a new one. How great to see your hand dayed silk and linen love the colour. Blackberries must be great to dye with.
Have a nice weekend
Yvonne

Rhonda said...

Delightful inchie, you know I adore cut out French words...I'm working on some this week.

Gorgeous dye you've done. I must try this....we have some roses that would work fine!

Happy Friday Liz.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi dear Liz,
love your inchie and I was thankful for the metro while in Paris:)The dyed fabric came out beautifully.TFS.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

Robin said...

Hi Liz, your inchie is fabulous and so is your dye experiment. Can't wait to see what happens when you use blackberries.

Hugs,
Robin

Lynn Stevens said...

Such a darling little inchie Liz. What a fab pin or pendant that would make.
WOW who would have tought you could dye fabrics with real flowers! The results are so beautiful and such different colors with the different fabrics.
Blackberries, yum yum. I don't know if they would get past my mouth to use in the dye bath! LOL
hugs Lynn

Mom E. said...

Liz,
Those are so pretty!
I have died cotton fabric with blackberries. I did it for a science experiment when I was 14!
It does make a pretty purple pink. Silk and lines would be very pretty.
Hope you had a great day!
Lanette

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh Liz you are showing us again just how clever you are with that little French inchie - must have taken ages to add all of the words etc.
I thought your little dyeing experiment worked really well Liz - I bet it looks more colourful in real life! The sun often washes out the pretty colours when you photograph them outside.
Oh so pretty really - both!
The silk gives a totally different result to the linen doesn't it!
I'd love to see what the blackberries give with light/white crushed velvet!
Now don't forget to save some for the next experiment!
I'll be waiting to see what happens.
Sending big rose pruning hugs (not too thorny) to you dear friend,
Suzy

Rebecca Nelson said...

Love it Liz! You are absolutely amazing. A creative queen! So INSPIRING!

xoRebecca